1. Waterless Cosmetics
Water-free or anhydrous beauty refers to cosmetics products formulated without water. Instead, many kinds of butter, oils, waxes, and oil-soluble active ingredients are used. These ingredients are typically more concentrated than water-based products as they contain higher levels of active ingredients that aren’t diluted.
Waterless products in skin, body and hair is an emerging trend, and companies are focusing on reducing their water footprint. It is predicted the global waterless cosmetic market will reach $31 billion by 2031, and we are currently at $9 billion.
Advantages of Waterless cosmetics products:
- Highly sustainable and eco-friendly
- Require little to no preservatives
- Require small and less complex packaging
- Better shelf life and last longer due to less dilution
- Many water-scarce countries can manufacture them at-home, thus reducing dependence on imports
- Overall shipping weight and volume is less than watered cosmetics, therefore reducing the carbon footprint of supply chain
2. CBD Skincare
A high interest in herbal cosmetics is accompanied by deep data and clinical research into natural ingredients that can provide many benefits with fewer or no side effects. CBD skincare has been in the limelight for a long time. Although with governments of several countries easing out restrictions on the use of cannabis, it is seen to be gaining significant traction and newer start-ups are surfacing in this space. The product launches and fast evolving science in this field are expected to make it one of the sought-after beauty trends in 2022, 2023, and so on.
Advantages of CBD Skincare:
- Heals acne and breakouts
- Helps Rosacea
- Acts like a natural anti-inflammatory agent
- Helps in soothing sensitive and irritable skin
- Rejuvenates dull skin and provides even skin tone
- Helps with fine lines and wrinkles to a significant extent
- Provides antioxidant properties
- Scientifically proven to reduce stress levels caused by anxiety, depression, and other disorders
3. Fermented Beauty Products
Biological fermentation is the transformation that certain organic materials undergo under the action of enzymes secreted by microorganisms. In other words, these microorganisms — which can be enzymes, bacteria, or yeasts — induce the decomposition of basic materials or ingredients to transform them into components that may be much more powerful.
Fermentation has long been practiced for the processing of a large variety of foods. The process is essentially the same for fermented cosmetics as well. Not only does fermentation act as an active ingredient booster, but it also makes for a higher concentration of nutrients and antioxidants. As a result, fermented products are highly useful in anti-aging therapies, optimizing the penetration of active ingredients into the skin.
Advantages of Fermented Beauty:
- Certain fermented ingredients preserve formulas and replace chemical-based preservatives
- Fermented ingredients make plant-based actives split better and be more readily accessible to the hair and skin
- Botanical ingredients are better tolerated after being fermented as the body can recognize and absorb them better
- Being organic in nature, they do not have any negative side effects
- Keeps skin healthy, strong, and smooth
- Since fermented cosmetics use fermented natural ingredients, it is beneficial to all skin types including sensitive ones