Hexylresorcinol is an ingredient that boasts amazing anti-aging benefits. Although it is not a new ingredient, it continues to be a sustained riser when looking at beneficial skin care ingredients.
What is Hexylresorcinol?
It is a type of phenolic lipid found in whole grain wheat and rye and traditionally used as an antiseptic and anesthetic in mouthwashes, throat lozenges, and to treat minor cuts, scrapes, and skin infections. When it comes to skin care, it is best known as an age-fighting, anti-glycation agent that brightens and promotes even skin tone while reducing future discoloration.
Hexylresorcinol helps neutralize free radicals due to its potent antioxidant properties. The antioxidants and astringent effects help even the skin tone and brighten complexion. If combined with other brightening ingredients such as niacinamide, hexylresorcinol has stronger and lasting effects.
It can brighten dark spots, treat age spots, even out skin tone and lighten skin color. As a skin lightener, Hexylresorcinol can bind to Tyrosinase and inhibit its activity. It also increases the levels of glutathione and is a strong anti-inflammatory agent. In addition, it stimulates growth factors, speeding up cell renewal, wound healing, and enhancing angiogenesis and microcirculation. Combating hyperpigmentation is hexylresorcinol’s biggest claim to fame.
Summary of benefits:
- Clinically proven to be four times more effective than Hydroquinone, hexylresorcinol is a potent active for skin lightening formulation.
- Stimulates Glutathione in the skin
- Exhibits antiseptic and local anesthetic properties
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Increases UV-A and UV-B protection
- Improves the skin’s barrier against pollution
- Powerful skin lightener